One of the best things about writing this blog is that we have a platform to help people with their financial decisions. And when we have the opportunity to use our blog to help raise money for charity, well that’s even better.
That’s why I was excited when Mark Goodfield, from The Blunt Bean Counter, asked us to participate in a unique project using our blog as a platform to help raise money for the United Way.
Bloggers for Charity
Bensimon Byrne is an advertising company and client at Mark’s accounting firm, and every year at this time they host a number of events to raise money on behalf of the United Way, including an auction where friends, clients and suppliers of the firm donate goods or services that can be auctioned off.
This year, Mark had a great idea to auction off a guest post on his blog, and he challenged other Canadian bloggers do the same in order to raise money for this great cause.
After kicking off the Bloggers for Charity contest yesterday on his blog, Mark called upon 5 other personal finance blogs in Canada, including Boomer & Echo, to join the effort.
Any Canadian blogger is welcome to join the effort (the project is not limited to financial bloggers) and encourage their fellow blogger contacts to join the Bloggers for Charity initiative.
Here are the contest rules:
1. We are auctioning off the opportunity to write a guest post on this blog.
2. All bids are made in confidence to us at info-at-boomerandecho-dot-com.
3. The auction will close on December 16th, 2011 and the winning bidder will be contacted by email.
4. The winning bidder will be required to send us a copy of a donation receipt between December 17th and December 31st (personal information can be blacked-out) to confirm the donation has been made. (This donation will be tax deductible to the winning bidder as long as the donation is made to a registered charity).
5. All of the Bloggers for Charity guest posts will be published on January 17th, 2012.
6. The winner is welcome to write a post on any topic, although in the spirit of the contest, it would be great if the post is about a charity or charitable experience, but that is not a requirement. The guest post can’t be a marketing piece, but the author can provide a brief bio that will be used in the introduction. Alternatively, the author can remain anonymous.
7. All bloggers who participate are asked to email Lynda at Lynda@cunninghamca.com to note their participation and then contact Lynda with their winning bid so that Mark can tally the donations received. All individual donation totals will be kept confidential.
Bloggers, please take this opportunity to join the Bloggers for Charity project and extend this offer to your readers.
Readers, this is your chance to guest post on Boomer & Echo and, more importantly, to support the United Way.