Last night I participated in another Tweet Chat, hosted by ATB Financial. This week we talked about paying off debt vs. investing. This topic always makes for an interesting debate. The group seemed to like my method of dividing our extra income into a 40/40/10/10 ratio split between extra mortgage payments, TFSA contributions, RESP contributions, and cash savings.
Just one last reminder that Canadian Wealth Advisor is offering Boomer & Echo readers their one-year subscription for $39. This offer expires at the end of the month.
On Moneyville this week I wrote about where to find the best GIC rates for your RRSP this year. I also explained how home closing costs can add up.
Here are a few more interesting personal finance articles from this week:
- My Own Advisor explained how to close your DRIPs and SPPs
- Retire Happy Blog said that financial planning is a road map to financial freedom
- The Blunt Bean Counter asked does money bring happiness?
- Passive Income Earner said goodbye Scotia iTrade, hello RBC Direct Investing
- Beating The Index said beware of declining natural gas prices
- Million Dollar Journey explained the joys and pitfalls of downsizing your home
- Money After Graduation asked what should your net worth be at 30?
- Young and Thrifty gave the low down on the RESP
- Michael James said OAS remedies should not just be about cost containment
- Money Mamba explained why cash return on invested capital is his favourite metric
Have a great weekend everyone!