Skip to content

3 Reasons To Take CPP At Age 70

It might seem counterintuitive to spend down your own retirement savings while at the same time deferring government benefits such as CPP and OAS past age 65. But that’s precisely the type of strategy that can increase your income, save on taxes, and protect against outliving your money.

Here are three reasons to take CPP at age 70:

1. Enhanced Benefit – Take CPP at 70 and get up to 42 percent more!

The standard age to take your CPP benefits is at 65, but you can take your retirement pension as early as 60 or as late as age 70. It might sound like a good idea to take CPP as soon as you’re eligible but you should know that by doing so you’ll forfeit 7.2 percent each year you receive it before age 65.

Indeed, you’ll get up to 36 percent less CPP if you take it immediately at age 60 rather than waiting until age 65. That alone should give you pause before deciding to take CPP early. What about taking it later?

There’s a strong incentive for deferring your CPP benefits past age 65. You’ll receive 8.4 percent more each year that you delay taking CPP (up to a maximum of 42 percent more if you take CPP at age 70). Note there is no incentive to delay taking CPP after age 70.

Let’s show a quick example. The maximum monthly CPP payment one could receive at age 65 (in 2019) is $1,154.58. Most people don’t receive the maximum, however, so we’ll use the average amount for new beneficiaries, which is $664.41 per month. Now let’s convert that to an annual amount for this example = $7,973.

Suppose our retiree decides to take her CPP benefits at the earliest possible time (age 60). That annual amount will get reduced by 36 percent, from $7,973 to $5,862 – a loss of $2,111 per year.

Now suppose she waits until age 70 to take her CPP benefits. Her annual benefits will increase by 42 percent, giving her a total of $11,322. That’s an increase of $3,349 per year for her lifetime (indexed to inflation).

2. Save on taxes from mandatory RRSP withdrawals and OAS clawbacks

Mandatory minimum withdrawal schedules are a big bone of contention for retirees when they convert their RRSP to an RRIF. For larger RRIFs, the mandatory withdrawals can trigger OAS clawbacks and give the retiree more income than he or she needs in a given year.

The gradual increase in the percentage withdrawn also does not jive with our belief in the 4 percent rule that will help our money last a lifetime.

You can withdraw from an RRSP at anytime, however, and doing so may come in handy for those who retire early (say between age 55-64). That’s because you can begin modest drawdowns of your retirement savings to augment a workplace pension or other savings to tide you over until age 65 or older.

Tax problems and OAS clawbacks occur when all of your retirement income streams collide simultaneously. But with a delayed CPP approach your RRSP will be much smaller by the time you’re forced to convert it to a RRIF and make minimum mandatory withdrawals.

With careful planning (and appropriate savings) your retirement income streams by age 70 could consist of CPP and OAS benefits, small RRIF withdrawals, plus – the holy grail – TFSA withdrawals, which do not count as income and won’t affect means-tested benefits like OAS.

3. Take CPP at age 70 to protect against longevity risk

Here’s where the counter-intuitiveness comes into play. Most default retirement projections will have you taking CPP at age 65 (or earlier) while delaying withdrawals from your RRSP and/or LIRA until age 71.

As I suggested above, the idea is to spend down some of your RRSP before age 70 to fill the gap left by deferring your CPP benefits. Good luck getting your commission-paid advisor to buy into this approach. I doubt many advisors would like the idea of spending down your savings early in order to maximize retirement benefits from CPP.

“Spend your risky dollars first because they may not be there for you in your 80s, depending on how your investments do. A bigger CPP cheque, however, will definitely be there for you.” – Fred Vettese

Spending down your RRSP in your 60s while deferring CPP until age 70 is like converting your risky assets (personal savings in the stock market) into a guaranteed income stream for life.

Related: 5 ways to save your retirement

Think about it. Will you still have the required mental faculties at age 80 or 90 to continue managing your own retirement assets? Or would you prefer to enjoy spending those assets in your 60s and 70s, knowing you still have an enhanced (and guaranteed) income stream to last a lifetime?

If your biggest fear in retirement is outliving your money then why not design your retirement income streams to protect against that very fear? Instead, most retirees take their CPP benefits the first chance they get – leaving additional money on the table and giving up a portion of that longevity risk protection.

Let’s hear it: Retirees, when did you take CPP? Soon-to-be retirees, have I given you a compelling argument to take CPP at age 70?

1. R Winklar on February 18, 2019 at 5:29 pm

What if you retire at 60..then you have 10 yrs of 0 income. Is it still worth it to wait until 70?

• Darren on February 18, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Obviously not. In fact if you have no income you should not be retiring at 60

• Stan on February 19, 2019 at 10:03 am

He/she is asking if the 10 years of no CPP contributory income would reduce the CPP more that deferring until 70 would increase the CPP.

To answer, the time between 65 and 70 does not reduce your CPP. The years from 60-65 may reduce your CPP unless you already have 40 years of maximum or close to max contributions. If you have that 40 years, you can drop out the 60-65 years without losing anything.

• David K on February 19, 2019 at 10:28 am

Ok, Stan, that makes sense. However, if all 5 years have to count (I.e., not dropped out), can you give an estimate of the impact? That is, is it better to take CPP at 60 or 70?

• Olamim on February 19, 2019 at 11:01 am

Not exactly. Some of those 40 years may have been low, ie. during university years or when bumming around Europe in your 20s. 17% of the lowest contributory years are dropped out for everyone, more for the primary caregiver of children during the years the children were under 7 if those years were below the adjusted average.

So maybe 5 zeroes get dropped from 60-65, maybe 8 til 68, but not 10; and the use of the dropout at this time nay keep other low years included. The benefit will erode without contributions, but will still be higher at 70, just not necessarily the 42% higher it would be if contributory average is maintained.

• Stan on February 19, 2019 at 12:39 pm

I did say that it would not affect you if you had 40 years of maximum or close to maximum contributions. 17% of the 47 years between 16 and 65 is 8 years. If you only had 3 other low years the 5 between 60 and 65 would be dropped out without penalty. The years after 65 do not count in the drop out if you are not working.

If you have lots of low or no income years, I don’t know how much the reduction would be if you added 5 more no income years from 60-65. Robb mentions Fred Vettese. You could Google his name to get his thoughts on this and he may address the issue.

• Kevin Bougie on February 19, 2019 at 3:03 am

You sure make a lot of sense

2. Greg on February 18, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Totally bought into taking CPP and OAS at 70 to obtain longevity risk protection and minimize tax as a retiree, especially OAS claw back. If we are unlucky and die before the breakeven date, well, we are dead.

• Bruce McK on February 19, 2019 at 1:13 pm

“If we are unlucky and die before the breakeven date, well, we are dead.”

That’s a great point. If you defer CPP and pass away young then your heirs and beneficiaries will get somewhat less. You won’t be around to care. But if you take it early and live a long time you will have less indexed, government guaranteed lifetime income, making you vulnerable to running out of money when you have the least ability to recover from it.

3. Kathryn on February 18, 2019 at 5:34 pm

A great strategy, except as a couple who will have drawn down most of our RRSP savings by the time we reach 70, the financial hit we’ll take when one of us dies is quite drastic. Complete loss of one person’s CPP and OAS, with perhaps the chance of a small top-up on the survivor’s CPP.
    I still haven’t found a clear answer regarding survivor top-up when the CPP is past the maximum, ie 42% higher due to waiting until 70 to claim.
    If the remaining CPP and OAS isn’t enough for one person to live on we’ll have to take that into account when calculating maximum drawdown of RRSP.

4. Tom on February 18, 2019 at 5:35 pm

I wish i did this for my cpp when i retired. I am though deferring my oas at least, and the money i would have withdrew from the rrsp/riff i am rolling it into a tsfa, so once 70 rolls in, i would reduce riff withdrawls, and income tax drops . Too many of my friends are taking out CPP and OAS early and complaining of how little it is.

5. Brien on February 18, 2019 at 5:46 pm

My wife & I both took CPP at 60 and used it as a travel fund – had a lot of good trips. Good decision – she past away before she reached 70. You never know what your health will be. Cancer took her in 4 years!

• Claude on February 19, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Hi No my thoughts exactly! Take it as early as you can, no one knows how long we have!so Sorry about your Loss!

• William Stewart on February 23, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Claude. We had a great life togther with many great trips. I have a girlfriend now and we have the philosophy of travel while we can – so at least one really good trip a year.

• Claude on February 24, 2019 at 3:57 am

Hi William, I am so happy, you have a girlfriend, things have turned around for you! LIFE is a precious gift, and we are only given one shot at it! WISHING You and your sweetheart, ALL the best! Take Care!

6. Sandra on February 18, 2019 at 5:53 pm

I have a defined pension which will be reduced when I turn 65. What should I do? Defer? I had considered taking CPP at 60 and holding off on emptying RRSPs. I’ve been retired for 4 years now.

• Scott on February 18, 2019 at 9:16 pm

I look forward to this answer also as I will be in the same situation where my DB “bridge” stops at 65. To maintain my current pension income should I take 1 – OAS, 2 – CPP, 3 – RRSP or some combination.

• David on February 18, 2019 at 10:14 pm

I would never consider taking the CPP early if you are getting a defined benefit pension with a reduction at 65 to account for CPP normally starting at 65. You first of all get a permanent reduction in CPP for each month you take it before 65 and then get a reduction in your DB pension at 65. I would much rather take out of my RRSP to make up the difference if needed or to get to the upper limit of your current tax bracket. This has the potential to give you a lower average tax rate throughout your entire retirement as minimum RRIf withdrawals after 71 can put you into a higher tax bracket or result in OAS clawback. So many factors and circumstances to consider as to whether further deferral to 70 makes sense for someone.

7. Stan on February 18, 2019 at 5:55 pm

My wife will be getting a small CPP benefit, so she will be able to use the entire 60% survivor benefit if I die first. She will get almost the maximum benefit and I believe that that maximum will be increased by 42% if we both defer until 70.

I worked until 66 and I expect to receive about $27,000 in CPP and OAS at 70, so I have set aside $100,00 in my RRSP to withdraw to replace the deferred government income for my years 67 – 70.

I look at it as buying an CPI indexed annuity with 60% survivor benefit that pays $8400 per $100,000. You cannot buy an annuity anywhere near that good!

8. Retired@60 on February 18, 2019 at 5:55 pm

I can see how the benefit exists if you are single. I retired at age 60 and have been using RRSP withdrawals to fund the gap until I collect CPP at age 65. I will collect maximum CPP, while my spouse is currently collecting about 75%. Delaying my CPP to age 70 will result in an increase of $6K/year, but I will have to fund the foregone payments from our retirement assets, including RRSPs. If I should die before my spouse, she will only collect a survivor CPP to top up her CPP to the max single CPP benefit as at age 65. How does the delay work for couples who are both eligible to collect, especially if one spouse dies before mid-80’s?

9. JM on February 18, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Took my CPP at 65. No regrets. Will definitely discuss with my wife any benefits of her waiting to 70. She is younger than I and loves her job.

10. Bruce McK on February 18, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Good article Robb. It’s always a very contentious subject. I plan on taking CPP at 70, but I don’t know anyone else that plans to. Most people’s attitude is take the government money as soon as you can.

For people that do not have a well funded indexed DB pension deferring to 70 makes a lot of sense. Many people say they will take it early and invest the money. As the article said, deferring increases it 7.2% annually to 65, then 8.4% annually to 70, and those numbers are inflation indexed, so more like 9-10% after inflation. How many people could get that kind of guaranteed investment return?

Deferring government guaranteed indexed benefits protect against running out of money in three ways. 1) Protection against longevity. 2) Protection against bad market returns, especially later in life. 3) Protection against high inflation which can erode purchasing power, especially if you live a long time.

11. Smitti on February 18, 2019 at 6:08 pm

I just retired at 62 and took CPP ! I don’t think you can generalize about the best time to take it. My income is relatively low at this time / will live off of non-registered investment capital and income until age 71. So for me CPP of $1,000 / month covers a lot of my overhead ….pty taxes / insurance / utilities / car insurance…plus I like the idea of receiving a monthly CPP payment deposited to my bank account ….after having worked for 35 years.
    My break even year is ~ age 76….think I’ll enjoy the income now….have sufficient funds for later retirment years.

12. Alexandra Unruh on February 18, 2019 at 6:42 pm

I am on Long Term Disability which is gone in 4 years when I am 65.*.I went to a financial planner to assess where I was at in my finances. * WELL, my CPP is small, OAS average, and if I want to make under 45,000.00 a year, my money will run out (except OAS and CPP when I am 73. If I invest it, then 78. * The ADVISOR didn’t mention anything about taking out CPP when I am 70. She just said to use up RRSP before using my TFSA.

• Mo on February 19, 2019 at 6:16 pm

If you receive a CPP disability pension, it automatically converts to a retirement CPP pension at 65. No choice unless that has changed recently.

13. Stan on February 18, 2019 at 9:29 pm

I think that it’s worth adding to any advice that advocates making RRSP withdrawals between the ages of 65 and 71 that if the $2,000 pension income credit is available, the RRSP withdrawal amount should first be rolled into a RRIF (at least the first $2,000 of the intended withdrawal for that year), and then withdrawn.

• Brian on February 19, 2019 at 10:01 am

Is it a requirement to roll $2000 of RRSP into a RRIF to take advantage of the Pension Income Credit? If I were to withdraw $10,000 from my RRSP at age 65, could I not claim the Pension Income Credit?

• Stan on February 19, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Unfortunately, the $2,000 pension income credit is not triggered by RRSP withdrawals.

14. Jan on February 18, 2019 at 10:34 pm

Single female, retired at 57, took CPP at 60 (now 65). I’m glad I started collecting it early as it’s helped fund (over $8,000 annually) of my travel expenses. Being single, when I depart from the planet, no one will receive any of the money I paid into CPP. So I couldn’t justify waiting, as none of us know our expiration date!

My brother was waiting until 65 to start collecting his CPP, but passed away at 62 from a sudden illness (our parents lived into their 80’s). His wife received a survivor benefit but then she died 3 years later. So they didn’t benefit much from their lifetime contributions to CPP.

All things considered, it made the most sense for me to take CPP early. We all have different circumstances. But for most single people, I personally think taking it at age 60 is the way to go, because we never know what’s around the corner. Enjoy it while you can! Take some nice trips, if travel interests you. Life’s way too short for many people!

• david j on February 19, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Hope your brothers executor applied retroactive for 11 months of CPP if he wasn’t collecting at time of death. Benefit would have been considered a rights and things and taxed on a separate tax return

• Mo on February 19, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Good advice.

• Rob in Germany on June 29, 2019 at 1:10 pm

@jan What were you living on? Employment, investments?

15. Connie on February 19, 2019 at 5:11 am

I intend to retire at 55 and collect CPP at 60 (my husband will be 65 at that time). There are no guarantees in life, even if you are healthy. It looks like the break even age would be around 80 to benefit from delaying until 70. If you really think you’re going to live past 80, then sure go ahead. But you would also have to account for any interest you may have made if you were able to invest some of that money as well into a TFSA. I say take it when you can (unless you have a DB pension), too many people paid into it their whole life and barely got any benefit from it (or none at all).

16. sara on February 19, 2019 at 6:12 am

Seems break even is 81 to 83 years where upon it would pay-off. Since life expectancy is more than that, it is a good strategy. It is also a good strategy with positive inflation every year,

17. rikk2 on February 19, 2019 at 8:10 am

Hmmm … in the example, the CPP amount at age 65 is $7,973 which totals $39,865 over 5 years. Waiting till 70 forfeits that $39,865 so that at age 70 the CPP amount will be $11,322/yr … $3,349/yr more than if taken at age 65. It would take $39,865/$3,349 which is 11.9 years to recoup that $39,865 … that’s age 81.9 … thats’ gambling, my opinion 🙂

• nic on February 19, 2019 at 9:30 am

Accountant David Trahair, who is also a Canadian financial consultant and has authored books on financial planning, makes a very good and calculated argument for taking CPP early in his books.

• Robb Engen on February 19, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Hi rikk2 – pension expert Doug Runchey shared a break-even analysis with me a few years ago to help with this post: https://boomerandecho.com/when-to-take-cpp-early-late-or-somewhere-in-between/

In it he shows that the only optimal time to take CPP at age 60 is if you happen to die before age 70. If you think you’ll live past 85 then you’re better off delaying CPP until age 70.

If you live to age 90 you’ll have collected $117,000 more by taking CPP at age 70 then you would if you started collecting at age 60.

Also important to note that you can take CPP benefits anytime between age 60-70. If you want to follow the averages and the current life expectancy for a male is 80 then you should take CPP at age 67 to get the most from the program.

• rikk2 on February 19, 2019 at 12:39 pm

I started collecting at 65, so far so good … and the indexing e.g. 2.2% for 2019 doesn’t kick in if you’re not collecting … enjoy the day 🙂

• rikk2 on February 19, 2019 at 1:44 pm

To clarify, contributing vs collecting … and going forward a new wrinkle/topic for the still working, the enhanced CPP, e.g. … “For each year of contributions at the higher rate (5.1 percent starting in 2019; increasing again to 5.25 percent in 2020 … “

18. Des Faria on February 19, 2019 at 9:26 am

I agree wholeheartedly with the article. If you are able to live or better yet work until 70 without taking OAS and CPP, this makes sense from a risk perspective as if you have enough to live on until then why worry about not getting something you are entitled to if you die early (greed?. Taking early retirement might actually increase the risk of running out of money if you live longer and live in a miserably poor financial condition; if you die early you’re gone, just the non-material afterlife to contend with.

Note that this has been my plan and working towards it but of course individual circumstances or illness could result in a different decision. The future is unsure, make the best decision based on current known circumstances.

19. KC on February 19, 2019 at 9:27 am

The wildcard here is your health. All I have to do is look at my father, who was the picture of health all his life suddenly have his health reduced significantly over past few years. Now, it’s minimal activities for him. He took CPP at 65. He’s now 67. Not much use of his money nowadays since he can’t do much. My mother has opted to take CPP at 65 as it’s small already and the impact of taking it at 60 was significant to her cashflow. Her family history shows many family members not living beyond 70 if they even made it there. She’s now 64. She’s definitely not going to wait till 70. If one has sufficient funds to have a tidy sum of RRSP, you can weather through anything. If one has a spouse and is already receiving a high CPP amount, they won’t receive much in the way of survivor’s benefit but their income has been essentially chopped in half.

I think for me personally, I would take CPP at 65 simply because life is too short and I’d much rather have a little too much in the early years to enjoy my retirement then to have all this money in my 70s and can’t do much with it. If you’re being taxed too much in your retirement years, it just means that you have a good income.

I also wouldn’t count on TFSA not being income-tested by the time I reach retirement when the government realizes how much taxes they’ll be missing out. If the current status remains this way by then, it’ll be a bonus.

• Robb Engen on February 19, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Hi KC, thanks for sharing. You might find this article interesting as it addresses the fear of dying early. Some key quotes:

“the probability of premature death is small. Between ages 65 and 80, there is only a 13 per cent chance of dying if you are female and 20 per cent if you are male.”

“If you are concerned about your spouse’s welfare if you die young and think that starting CPP early will improve the financial situation, you should think again.”

“Early commencement of CPP does not help your surviving spouse after all.”

• KC on February 19, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for the links Robb. I’m still on the fence honestly. I would have to re-evaluate as I get closer to 60. Still got lots of time ahead of me to decide and of course, things can change between now and then!

20. Wes on February 19, 2019 at 9:51 am

Great topic. My wife and I retired at the same time, she at 60 and I at 62. She had a defined benefit retirement plan while I had my own self-directed retirement plan. We started collecting our CPP payments as soon as we retired. We use the proceeds from the CPP and retirement benefit payments to help us with our daily expenses and invest the left over funds. We just don’t know how long we’ll live, we’re both cancer survivors and still paying taxes.

21. David K on February 19, 2019 at 10:16 am

Hi Robb,

Another interesting post! I’m wondering if you or one of your readers can help clarify my question…

In my situation, I will have many years of zero contributions, likely exceeding 11 years by the time I turn 60. I know that one can drop out 9 years of zeroes, but if I wait until 65 or 70, there will be at least 5 more years of zero contribution. I think that this skews my decision to take CPP at 60, but I can’t figure out the exact impact on my CPP benefits…

If you can help me on this, it would be greatly appreciated…

My guess is that this might be a Doug Dahmer question.

Thanks, David

• Robb Engen on February 19, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Hi David, pension expert Doug Runchey explains this here:

“You will always get more CPP by waiting, even if you’re not working.

Your “calculated (age-65) retirement pension” may decrease if you’re not working between age 60 and 65, but the age-adjustment factor will always make up for that decrease, and then some.

“In that situation I use the expression that you will receive a larger piece of a smaller pie if you wait, but you will always get more pie,” he said.

Here’s an article I wrote a few years ago with Doug’s help that may be useful in your decision: https://boomerandecho.com/when-to-take-cpp-early-late-or-somewhere-in-between/

22. Rick on February 19, 2019 at 10:23 am

One thing to consider is what impact the additional CPP payment will have on your OAS clawback. If you have been lucky in your RRSP and other investments you might be better off starting CPP early, not delaying OAS and drawdown your RRSP savings before reaching 71 so that the mandatory withdrawal from your RRIF does not put you in a tax bracket that negatively impacts your OAS. (reference Ed Rempel blog)

23. Wendy Lai on February 19, 2019 at 10:28 am

Is it possible to delay CPP to 70 but apply for OAS at age 65?

• Robb Engen on February 19, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Hi Wendy, yes it is. Two separate programs. In fact, what Fred Vettese, actuary and author of Retirement Income for Life, suggests is that if you delay CPP until age 70 that you should still take OAS at 65.

24. C. Lanthier on February 19, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Uh! Sorry, I have NO RRSP’S, No nothing, so I’m still working, probably till I die, I took my CPP at 60, because I’m probably not live till 75,and even if I DO live passed that, I will be much further ahead, by collecting it earlier,and ACTUALLY getting more, in the END! Thank You!

25. Alicia on February 19, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Except;
    How many of us won’t live until 70 years of age? My mom died at 63 years of age, what happened to all of her contributions?
    The least they could have done is pay for her funeral.

26. Sidd Cairn on February 20, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Great thought provoking articles, it make sense if you have money in RRSP to drawdown and wait till 70 to collect the bigger CPP pie. I think that’s what I will do and take OAS at 65. Thanks boomer&echo.

27. Steve on February 20, 2019 at 5:26 pm

What would you rather have, $100 now, or $200 in ten years?
    Did I mention I’m a politician?
    I might not be around in 10 years.
    I might change my mind.
    I might not have the money to pay you.
    Burn through my savings and hope that the gov’t will feed me,
    20 or 30 years from now?
    Is that Socialism?

28. Larry Acchione on February 21, 2019 at 6:29 pm

I am working until 70 yrs old and deferring my cpp and oas until then. My date of birth is 10/10/53. I have called service canada trying to find out how to stop paying into Cpp but they keep referring to form cpt 30. The problem is that when I go to fill out the eligibility part it states that if you are not collecting cpp you cannot opt out. I have more than the max cpp required and any cpp contributions have no value to myself so my guestion to you is how do I stop paying into cpp. My mpp, finance minister and numerous service Canada employees have been unable to help. Thankyou

29. Bryan on February 23, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Hoping someone can help answer this for my mom who is 63 and on the verge of taking CPP or delaying. How does she find out how much she will be getting each month/what she contributed during her working years? Thanks!

• Bryan on February 23, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Turns out I found the answer in the article Alexandra Mcqueen mentioned in the comments earlier. Thanks Alexandra!
      It is the Statement of Contributions to the Canada Pension Plan and info can be found here in case anyone else had the same question: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/statement-contributions.html

Now my next question is, does anyone know of a good calculator for retirement planning that can factor in pension income, RRSP/RRIF withdrawals, CPP and OAS? Mainly looking to find that balance of maximizing everything while avoiding OAS clawback.

• Gruff403 on February 23, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Hi Bryan;
      Go to Gov of Canada Website and Find the My Service Canada Account (MSCA). Sign up or use the Sign In Partners if she uses one of the Financial Institutions Listed. You can find your Record of Contributions and estimated pension amounts. Remember these amounts are estimates assuming you work until 65.
      You can also write to receive a written copy of Record of Contributions but that takes time. Good place to start.

30. Dave on May 23, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Average life expectancy as you get to 65 is 85 – the breakeven on the CPP question living to 85 is to take it at age 68

31. TPR on May 23, 2019 at 10:29 pm

I came to Canada at 36. I have always worked making average 90K every year except 3 years when I did consulting. That time I took 25k / year to save taxes. I have no plan to retire. I love my work. My current age is 58. Should I take CPP at 60 and keep contributing? or wait till 65?